Thursday, December 27, 2007

Birthday Wrecker

Yes, today was indeed my birthday. I would like to thank everyone for the gifts, calls, texts, facebook messages, and even blog posts (Andrew). I really enjoyed Andrew's blog posts, they made me laugh.

So today, a group of us went "sledding" up at a local mountain pass, to be more specific Hatcher's Pass. We brought 2 cars full of people and sleds and hot chocolate. It was perfect weather conditions, clear and no wind, so I was thinking it was going to be a great time even though I forgot my snowboard helmet and goggles at school (my usual gear for sledding). This is not any old sledding hill, this is Mile 16 trail where there are random boulders, creeks, drop-offs, dips, large bushes, and even moose between you and the parking lot at the bottom. It usually takes about 8-9 minutes on average to sled all the way down this "tail", a very loose term. There are many different paths you can take, and they all lead to the same area, some more challenging than others, but no signs to say that.

On our first run, I grabbed the new red plastic toboggan and headed down the steep drop-off at the beginning with snow spraying in my face; right then I knew it was going to be a good day! Getting back into the groove of carving with this sled, I decided to get more adventurous and go on my knees (more speed, better control) it all sounded good in my head except I didn't take into account of how long the toboggan was. So as I would go down a quick drop-off, and then there would be a jump, the long toboggan would come to a dead stop not being able to go any farther (not sure if this makes sense, but it sure does to me) and it would send me flying and one time my knees smashed into a boulder. Anyway...

In years past I would always be real careful and wear protective gear, helmet mainly, because I once flew off my sled and hit my head against a boulder, luckily that was the year I got my helmet. Cheese! (No clue). But this is a new year, I'm older, more "crazy" so I decided to go down a part of the mountain that I normally don't go down. Along with not having my glasses on (messing with my depth perception) and the fresh snow (so you couldn't really tell when bumps and jumps were coming along) I went for it. I ended up soaring down this drop-off and smashing my body into a boulder, with my right foot flying out front to try and "hit the break"; my foot hit the rock and my body came crashing into it making my toes touch my shin (most people know that I am not flexible anyway (i can't even touch my toes)) I heard a pop and felt a crack in my ankle; needless to say I laid on the ground for a good 10-15 min frustrated knowing that I wasn't even 1/2 way down the mountain and I just hurt my ankle. I tried to get up, but the pain was too much to handle at first.

To make a long story short, my ankle is really swollen, not sure what's wrong with it but I'm going in tomorrow to get it looked at. I can't put much weight on it but I'm sure its fine (positive mental attitude). Sadly I ended the fun sledding time making everyone finish up there run and then we headed home. Wish you were all here to experience this fun time, no really. I mean this; it was a beautiful day and would've been fun. O-well I ruined my own birthday, fancy that.


Ian said...

that's badass.

Andrew H. Stout said...

The sign makes it that much better.