Friday, February 27, 2009
ha. so i wrote two songs: housemates (inspired by andrew bird and monsters) and Dixieland (inspired by non-true events). hope to record them somehow and put them up here. might be awhile. i am working on two other songs at the moment and am playing i think this wednesday night with Two Girls and the Collective. so there you go.
p.s. saw andrew bird the other night and it was amazing. he can rock that violin and whistle like a madman. things to aspire too.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
i am super excited. i hope to utilize the many instruments i semi-play. expect to hear more news about this in the NEAR future. but for now i'll leave you with my band name:
I am I
You are You
Sunday, February 15, 2009
i went out hiking on sunday and this thought came to mind: mom's death was the best and worst thing to happen to me in my life as of right now. it made me grow up faster and become the man that i am today which is good/bad. i am also closer to my dad than i was before; i never really felt like i had a strong relationship with my dad, just an average one, but now i am happy to say that we are much closer now mainly because we were forced to be.
onward. there are two pictures that i plan on reflecting on for today: one when i was in middle school and the other when i started college. both transitional periods in my life and my mom was right there with me. i knew that i could call her up and ask her if i was doing my laundry correctly or come home and unload on her about a crappy day. she's the person i would go to for everything. i miss this, i hope to have this someday with my spouse (if that ever happens). i know i have friends and family but sorry it's just not the same, being apart isn't the same as being together all the time. i want to remember these two times and reflect on the happiness that is brought with these pictures. a good president is nice to have, but it will never ever come close to how important a mom is on a kids life and even a grown-ups life.
"i miss you dearly mom. i ask God to tell you hello and i love you every time i pray, which needs to be more often. i hope to make it to heaven to see you. one day at a time i suppose." - me
Saturday, February 14, 2009
this is such an inspiring video. i think this is a great thing Chris is doing. i think to a certain extent that it is great to respect and recognize other religions as well as truly care for their prayer requests. i think this is a great statement of faith, allowing God to provide and keep him safe on his journey as well as a spiritual journey for Chris and for the prayer requests. i think this is the kind of statement that needs to be shown to the world. plus it's dang awesome!
Thursday, February 12, 2009
1. saw a lady sitting on the side of the road with a sign that said "anything would help" and then another sign that had a smiley face. no one would acknowledge her, like she wasn't even there. i read a quote in a book, "under the overpass", by a homeless man, Peter, and he said this: "A smile is such an easy thing to give away, don’t you think?" that really hit me and i try and show people love through acknowledgment and a friendly smile and whatever else i feel prompted to do. so in this instance i was in my car headed to work after a shoot and i don't carry cash so i had nothing to give other than my smile. we locked eyes and i saw her light up from my measly little smile. not many instance have brought me to breaking out in tears, but this was one. God humbled me that Tuesday afternoon.
2. i stepped out of my comfort zone and played a couple songs at an open mic night at nnu at the brick house, mainly filled with friends. i knew the songs in and out, but nervousness and my ego got to me; i felt like i butchered the songs and was embarrassed for myself. coming home, i reflected on this and noticed it was a way for God to humble me and show me that i need to rely on Him and not on myself and my own talents. i have been saying a certain phrase whenever i feel pain or discomfort or embarrassment and that is "it only makes me stronger" and i feel like this is another instance that has made me stronger.
more grace please.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
- Why tear out single pages when you can throw away the book? Why pluck one string when you can strum the guitar?
- We'll be like torches! Torches together!
- My life is a cup of sugar I’ve borrowed before time began and forgot to return.
- I need more grace than I thought.
- Brother, I'm far; brother im far way; brother away from everything good!
- But you untied me - didn't you untie me, Lord?
- The trap I set for you seems to have caught my leg instead.
- In a sweater poorly knit...
- I do not exist, only YOU exist.
- If I come without a thing, I come with all I need.
- God is love and love is real
- A glass can only spill what it contains.
- Jonah where's that boat goin? Your ship set with eager sails?
- Oh, pretenders, let's go down. Lets go down- won't you come on down? Oh, pretenders Lets go down-Down to the river and pray?
- Daniel broke the king's decree, Peter stepped from the ship to the sea; there was hope for Job like a cut down tree, I hope that there's such hope for me.
- If I didn't have You as my guide I'd still wander lost in Sinai
- So I'll ask Your forgiveness with every breath, If there was no way into God, I would never have laid in this grave of a body for so long, dear.
- I'll ring your doorbell, until you let me in and I can no longer tell where 'You' end and 'I' begin.
Sunday, February 8, 2009
Monday, February 2, 2009
i also realized tonight, that i am a child. i am still holding onto youthful ways. i'm not saying that it is a good or bad thing; i will say that it's both. it's funny how and when certain things become realized to us. ironic.
Sunday, February 1, 2009
i may be my worst critic, but i feel like i have become my best motivation too.
it has been super cloudy the past couple weeks and yesterday was no different but i had hope that the sun would poke it's head out for us and when we reached the top of the canyon, the sun, as phil said, "was just lovin on us." it was truly a peaceful experience; i did bring my cameras with me, but sometimes pictures can't capture the entire feeling and beauty. also i keep forgetting to switch from my telephoto lens to a wider lens so i didn't get the pictures i really wanted. o-well, means i have to go out there again. it was at first a little chilly, but once we got moving, we did warm up. enjoy.