Monday, January 28, 2008

Whistling Dixie



For as long as I can remember, my dad has always whistled to songs on the radio, things heard from the TV, and even at church. I feel like this is a talent the some people haven't really developed (I think Andrew had a hard time with this, but taught himself sometime after). I have found myself recently whistling more and more to songs, not saying that I'm great or anything, but I thoroughly enjoy it. I feel like it is an instrument that is not used enough and if used effectively adds a pinch of greatness. Here are some great songs that feature whistling (no order here):

1. End of "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill" by the Beatles (well it sounds like whistling, not sure if it is)
2. "Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard" by Paul Simon
3. "Sissyneck" by Beck
4. Theme song for the Andy Griffith Show
5. Whistling part in Robin Hood (Disney movie)
6. "Two of Us" by The Beatles
7. "Golden Years" by David Bowie
8. "Patience" by Guns N' Roses
9. "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby
10. "Tire Swing" by Kimya Dawson

*If you can think of any other songs with whistling that you like just write them in the comment section.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the greatest whistling solos ever is on Otis Retting's "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay." Check it out.

Anonymous said...

i love the robin hood song.