Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Perusing through "My Little Black Book"...

Today was the first day that I have gone through and looked at the things I have been writing down in my Moleskin book. There were a lot of little things that reminded me of events over Christmas break, lessons learned, and Bible verses that I really wanted to remember. I know I look geeky pulling out this black book from my back pocket and then writing things down, but I am who I am and this is important to me. I am very protective of this book because there are things inside that are for me only, and I'll share them when and if I want (that sounded really mean, don't take it that way).

Here are a few things that I wrote down that I'd like to share:

-"Perhaps one reason God delays His answers to our prayers is because He knows we need to be with Him far more than we need the things we ask of Him." -Ben Patterson

-Matthew 5:13-16. I need to daily reflect God's love because what use am I if I don't.

-Excerpt from a prayer of mine, "Take my life and use up my talents so when I get to Heaven I will be empty."

-I think a movie about Bobby Hall's life would be SWEET!

-"Spectacle is the least of things." -Aristotle

This last one is something that I'd like to talk about because it is so true and Aristotle was a very smart guy. This is very applicable today. This quote came up when we were having discussion in our directing class today. So many movies today focus so much on special effects i.e. explosions, gun fights, gore but what happened to the great stories? Yeah Transformers was visually a sweet movie, but the story was sooo shallow. I feel like our culture is really settling for less with our movies lately; we accept these crude humored or flashy movies, and let story take the backseat.

I'm not saying I'm the best storyteller, and looking through my senior project I can tell that I am not great, but I feel like we are just getting bombarded with subpar stories in the movies. I want to be moved during a movie; challenged to change my lifestyle, convicted of my choices, cry for a character (every time I watch Cast Away and October Sky). Spectacle is fun and helps the audience feel more apart with how realistic it is, but lets remember the movies that have great stories. The ones that changed our lives.

No comments: