Friday, June 20, 2008

illiterate

On my great trek through Europe I had the opportunity to spend some time reading. I finished the book I started on spring break, "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac and thoroughly enjoyed it. I then read "Travels with Charley" by John Steinbeck and also liked it. I then read two small paperbacks, one about Hitler's last week alive and another about how Christmas kept both sides (Germans/Russians) alive during WWII. Why do I say all this, well I used to hate reading; was and still am slow at it, but I am finding more things that I enjoy reading. I like this.

Here are some quotes from "Travels with Charley" that I really enjoyed.



- "We do not take a trip; a trip takes us"
- "The memory is at best a faulty, warpy reservoir."
- "A sad soul can kill you quicker, far quicker, than a germ."
- "Sometimes the view of change is distorted by a change in oneself."
- "The place of my origin had changed, and having gone away I had not changed with it."

These all are great quotes from Steinbeck and they applied either to my present condition, in Europe, or in my life. I am now mere pages away from finishing "Robinson Crusoe" by Daniel Defoe. There is one quote that I would like to share.

- "I believe it is impossible to express to the life what the ecstasies and transports of the soul are when it is saved."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm reading east of eden and it is totally kicking my ass.